Thursday 19 April 2007

[4] NO 01503 93885 Luibeg Burn


2/10/07 Karen




Crossed the bridge over burn on the way to Devil's point and Wells of Dee and across the stones on the way back. I wouldn't have taken the detour if I'd realised my feet would stay dry!
Click for map

19/07/09 Dave H
Thought I ought to get here as soon as possible after the weekend disaster. The good thing about working from home is I can go out when the weather is good. The bad thing is I now have to do all the work I didn't do earlier today. Still, lured by the prospect of glorious sunshine all day I biked out here from Linn of Dee. The glorious sunshine never appeared. Still, it's a pleasant ride out here. Only took about 45 mins. Went on to Devil's Point.

16/09/07 Kathy (and not quite Dave)
Set off on a horribly wet afternoon from Linn of Dee having postponed our trip for as long as possible. The rain was sure to stop eventually. The car park was as midgy as anywhere I've ever been. Stopped itching by Derry Lodge where a mountain rescue helicopter was hovering. We assumed it was an exercise, but in those conditions it would have been easy to get lost on the tops. We went on up the Derry (on the west side, according to the man at the Braemar outdoor shop the landrover track on the east side is not worth taking because has mostly been removed by the National Trust). The path is quite good for cycling, at least for the first km. After that I don't know because just as the rain stopped my chain snapped. I've never broken a chain before, but fortunately I always carry a link tool ... don't I ... I'm sure it's in here somewhere ... maybe I can fix it with pliers ... oh bother. So I walked/freewheeled back to Midge Central while Kathy went up to the Luibeg. Without the camera because she didn't know the sun was going to come out. Back at the car, I put the heater on to dry out ... and flattened the battery. Or at least managed to confuse the immobiliser so the car wouldn't start when K got back. Not sure exactly what had happened but as we were trying to shut up the alarm in a cloud of midges a friend of ours turned up and jump started us. She had managed to find an even worse way of spending the afternoon having gone on a 2 hour Fungal Foray to Midge Hell. Personally after 10 minutes I'd have been looking for something fatal to escape the midges. We went to the teashop in Braemar to recover.


26/05/07 Derek & Evelyn

Aiming for Challenge 2 we started off from Linn of Dee car park which is a new route for us since we normally come in here directly from Braemar either as a cycle or as part of the Lairig Ghru race. Its easy cycling as far as Derry lodge. Once over the footbridge there's a spongy area to cross (very spongy if wet) followed by another piece of (nearly) cycleable track out to the burn. We saw some other MTBers take their bikes over the burn and onwards but it hardly seems worth it to us, so we left ours in the heather. Took the opportunity to try to find a dry way over the burn since at the Lairig race you never get time and we usually just plunge in. It's possible but "mind that loose rock" says Ev (unfortunately too late for her).
Met up with our bikes again after returning from our expedition to Challenge point 2. It was a relief to get onboard and get some speed up. Passed some tourists on some dodgy bikes - one was a Moulton with tiny wheels - eat my dust, suckers












08/06/07 Gary








Did this on my way to Devil's Point. I persevered with my bike through Luibeg Burn. This is quite deep and the bike was handy to hang onto. Feet were already wet and had been for several hours.

No comments: