Thursday 19 April 2007

[42] NJ 38388 00795 Crannach Hill summit


Click for map 26/04/07 Karen and Sheila. Cycled from Ballater past Tulloch and left the bikes a bit up the Morven track. Headed straight up to the top from the gate. Short but quite strenuous through the deep heather. Worth it for the great views from the top.






15-10-07 Gail -After leaving the Lochan ran on until almost at the gate and then ploughed through the heather to the top of the hill. Views would have been lovely but a little hazy. Went on from here up the path towards Redburn as part of a circular route back by Cambus to the graveyard at Tullich. A really nice run.



14/09/07 Sarah



I'd planned a nice low level run today but a glance at the Challenge map and this caught my eye. The only previous time I climbed Crannach Hill was during one of Jon's 'epic' training runs, in '97 I think. We started then by coming up the Tullich Burn on the W side of Crannach Hill. If you ever feel the need to imagine that you're lost in deepest Borneo or somewhere equally exotic, the Tullich Burn has much to recommend it. Today, I was far more sensible (at first at least) and approached by the track up from the E. Unfortunately, I decided to try a diagonal line up the hill and followed the line of the fence from the start of the tree enclosure. This was not a good plan and I found myself scrambling through thigh deep heather over bouldery ground full of holes. Once on the ridge the going was much better, but my timing was bad and I was caught in hail as well as a howling gail. I descended much more directly, following Dave's line, which was significantly better than my route up and a lot nearer the track.




10/09/07 Dave H. Biked up the path that Peter took, but started at Cambus. There is a linking path - take the path to the quarry then just before you get there go left and slightly downhill. Bit difficult to describe the next bit but keep right and you'll end up at the stream. Cross it and you are on the path going North up the glen. I rode up here to the second gate (ie the end of the exclosure) and left the bike here. The path is getting quite overgrown - encourage your friends to use it occasionally. It's a good route to Morven if you want a longer run. From the second gate I went straight up the hill. Only took 13 mins but it is very steep and heathery. Really very heathery. Good view from the top, particularly of the sky. 7 mins back to the bike then 20 back to the car. Didn't see Peter's cairns but I reckon they were shooting butts.




27/8/7- Peter. Followed track up past loch (44) to the back of the hill then up to top and down the ridge, a great run. Look out on the way down for strange cairns, they look like short sections of dyke and are in a line about 50m apart running down the ridge... any ideas???

No comments: